Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

First day in new house

I moved to Philly yesterday, spent my first night in the house last night and cooked lunch today, my first use of the kitchen.

The house itself is quite nice. Two stories, three bedrooms, one bathroom (with no lock, my plan is to always sing/talk/yell to myself while in the bathroom to let Drew, my room mate to know I'm in there). I found Drew on Craigslist. After a failed trip out to Philadelphia in the middle of June to try to find a place, I put an ad on Craigslist in the "seeking housing" section. The failed places all had some fatal flaw, too gross, too expensive, too many people living there, cats, and I had found them by searching through the Craigslist housing section. When I put up my own ad about what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay, I got several good leads right away. This is when I was back in my hometown in Illinois though, so I couldn't actually see any of the places. Drew contacted my that first day, and he seemed pretty non-crazy (I keep saying this, I wonder if he'll get annoyed by my calling him the "non-psycho room-mate") and the house seemed pretty nice. I committed about a week later, without making plans to go out and see it before I moved in. My dad said I had already made up my mind anyway, which was true.

So exciting adventures in moving occurred, blah blah, on to cooking.

My first meal in the house, lunch today, was scrambled eggs with basil, onions and Parmesan, a piece of naan from Trader Joe's with garlic goat cheese and olive oil, and a Caffeine-free-diet-pepsi, my poison of choice. Here's what I did:
-Looked into the fridge to remind myself what I had JUST put in there, Drew and I went to Trader Joe's (my first time there). I quite like Trader Joe's we don't have them (I think?) in Illinois, though as I'm not from Chicago, I might not really be from Illinois either.
-Saw eggs. I like scrambled eggs. I also had bought three basil plants from TJs. Basil and Eggs go well together.
-No salt. Must go and get salt. But I do have Parmesan, which is very salty. And Cheese and Eggs go even better together then Basil and Eggs.
-Scrambled three eggs (I was pretty hungry) in a bowl, added some freshly ground black pepper (I bought at T.J. Maxx, pepper already in the pepper mill, so I don't know how fresh it actually is. Taste's good though). I put a small sauce pan on the stove (electric, wish it was gas) and plunked some olive oil in it, set it to 7. Poured the eggs in. 7 got too hot, so I turned it down to 5. Threw some torn basil leaves in the pan, along with some small chopped onions, and the Parmesan and stirred it around until it was cooked like I like, soft, curdy, not dry.
-The naan (garlic kind) was is the toaster oven, rubbed all over with olive oil. It was different from what I normally got at Walmart back home, smaller, shaped longer and thinner then I'd seen, but the bread itself was a bit thicker, more like a smushed roll then large pita. It was good. When it came out I spread it down the middle with garlic goat cheese and took a little crock of olive oil and garlic to the table to dip it into as well.

Grade: Solid B+. Filling and tasty, warm and comforting. Not exciting or exotic. Yum.

Listening to: My "Gentle Happy" playlist (I sort all my music according to mood. Weird.) Including "Dying" by Five for Fighting. Rachmaninoff's Vocalise as sung by Kathleen Battle. "Please Call me Baby" by Tom Waits.

Reading (I usually read as I eat, both at home and if I'm alone at a restaurant): "The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken". I bought it yesterday on recommendation from an Amazon listomania list. I'm on page 54. So far very good! I'll make a page on my book recommendations shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment